Saturday 2 January 2010

Best Music of 2009


 For a number of years, I’ve subscribed to and used the (free) services of last.fm.



Last.fm is essentially a logging service which via a program that you download from there site log’s music that you play either on the computer or via Ipod’s etc and then suggests music that may like from the tracks you’ve played that it logs.


It also allows you to ‘connect’ with people with similar musical tastes and links into a variety of other websites including facebook and so on, and powers the last.fm box on the blog that show’s you what music I’ve listened to recently or what I’m listening to when you visit the blog.

Anyhow as I noted yesterday I’m intending to take part in NaBloPoMo (blogging every day) for January and the theme is best, so what better to continue the theme, than a review of my musical selection's during the past twelve months.

In terms of artist’s, my top 15 best artists for the year are :


1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15

With my top 10 best tracks being :


1
2
2
2
5
5
Blur – Parklife
7
7
7
10
10

Not completely connected but a good few artist’s and their tracks showing through both list’s, the majority you may well have heard of but just a quick note on one that may not be familiar with, which is Korn and forsaken which comes from the queen of the dammed soundtrack, and neatly matches up to both the film and the Anne Rice book the film is based on.

In terms of ‘live’ music I’ve not seen that much this year with my sole dedicated concert outing been to see Tori Amos at the Manchester Apollo in September, which was as with the previous occasions I’ve seen her brilliant. There’s also been this year a good range of coverage of most of the music festivals with several good performances.

2009 however from a music point of view, should be remembered (at least from my point of view) for the variety of female artists that came to the fore during the year from the wondrous Florence and the machine,  to the great sounding Paloma Faith, and the more obscure (in terms of how well known) but still brilliantly sounding Tara Busch, along with the return of artist such as Lily Allen.

No comments: