This week is the second annual carbon monoxide awareness week, which similar to last year’s event is starting with a launch at the House of Commons (this time on the lord’s side).
The ‘campaign’, which as with last years is being run by ‘Co-awareness’, is working to raise awareness of the dangers of Carbon monoxide, and will be continuing to call on the Government, regulators and industry to tighten procedures for inspection and maintenance of equipment.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning, is usually the result of poorly maintained boilers or other domestic appliances, with statistics from the HSE (Health and safety executive) showing that in the 2005/6 20 people died due to gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated.
Deaths from Carbon Monoxide poisoning have also hit home locally with the deaths of two Glossopdale residents in January 2005 from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
Many homes now have a Carbon Monoxide monitor which sounds an alarm if carbon monoxide is present.
However if you’re home isn’t currently covered please look at taking precautions to protect yourself and your family, by making sure that your domestic appliances are maintained and that Carbon Monoxide alarms are fitted in your homes. An information leaflet and guide to the different types of alarms is available from the Co-awareness website (www.co-awareness.co.uk)
More information is available at the Co-awareness campaign website www.co-awareness.co.uk and also at the carbon monoxide kills website www.carbonmonoxidekills.com.